Membership in the Colt Cadets is an amazing experience for you and your entire family, and one that takes tremendous dedication, hard work and personal responsibility.
THERE IS NO OBLIGATION TO BECOME A MEMBER BY ATTENDING REHEARSAL OR BY RETURNING ANY MATERIALS. Find out what we are all about. Even if you don’t become a Colt Cadet, you will learn a great deal. You will participate in the ensemble and perform as a member of the Colt Cadets. In the process, we will assess your skills, answer your questions, and you will be more comfortable with our program and our family.
Following is a step-by-step guide to the information you need to become a member of the Colt Cadets!
- Request Information. This is your initial entry to our student database and lets us know which section and/or instrument you're interested in. Our 2020 Membership Brochure is available online here.
- Sign up for our email list, and encourage your parents to do the same. All communication is done through our email distribution list. It's faster and far less expensive than traditional mail.
- Fill out a 2022 Application in advance of your attendance. Submitting the application in advance will save you considerable time at check-in during the weekend events.
Join our Facebook groups! We use our Facebook groups to communicate important details about camps and general membership throughout the
preseason. Make sure you've joined the interest group for your section:
Make plans to attend an event! We kick off our preseason with open rehearsal events, held on Sunday afternoons in Dubuque. All students are
invited to attend at no cost. This is the perfect opportunity to meet our staff and learn more about the world of drum corps.
After our open rehearsals, we transition to three-day weekend camps. For these camps, please RSVP as soon as you can to let us know that you will be attending. You can always update your request later if your plans change. We can help you find a ride or with other special arrangements through your comments on the RSVP form.
- We provide ground transportation from the Dubuque Regional Airport (DBQ) for Dubuque camps. We can often accommodate flights into surrounding airports (Quad Cities, Madison, Rockford, or Cedar Rapids). You MUST notify the office prior to booking a flight into anywhere other than Dubuque. MLI (Moline) and CID (Cedar Rapids) are very close to Dubuque and reasonable in fare.
- Please note that the Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, and Moline airports close over night. Do not plan on spending the night before or after the camp at these airports.
- ORD (O'Hare) travel MUST land prior to 3:30 PM on Friday and depart no earlier than 7:30 PM on Sunday. MDW (Midway) travel MUST land prior to 2:30 PM on Friday and depart no earlier than 8:30 PM on Sunday. If you plan on using either of these airports please let the office know prior to booking flights.
- If you can, take some time to work through your warmup packet before rehearsal. Packets will be sent via email after you fill out an Information Request
- Attend an event! Always check the home page at colts.org within a few hours of leaving for an event! Any updates or changes will always be posted here first. Specific rehearsal information for each event is released a week or so prior to each rehearsal.
- Become familiar with our preseason calendar. Our preseason schedule is limited, so attendance at our one-day open rehearsals is strongly encouraged, and attendance at our three-day camps is expected of all members. Attending part of the camp is better than not at all. If you have conflicts, talk to us, we will work with you! COMMUNICATION IS CRITICAL!
One-day open rehearsals are free to attend. The cost for our three-day weekend camps is $40 to help cover the meals and instruction. Pay the fees online to save time at check-in. This fee does not apply toward your summer tuition.
We will begin handing member agreements out to students after they attend their third rehearsal (including one-day open rehearsals). In some situations, we may ask you to attend an additional rehearsal to be sure of your success during the summer season.
Try at least one weekend before deciding anything about the Colt Cadets. A life-changing summer of travel, achievement, and success awaits you. Being here will make that happen. You'll never know if you don’t try!